Welcome to the grow box guide. If you’re looking to start growing and maintaining your own home marijuana supply with a grow box or grow tent, then it’s absolutely essential that you do things properly right from day one.
Marijuana plants are just like any other plants in that they only grow well under the proper conditions. However, while some people may have the space, the gardening skill, and the conditions necessary to grow happy, healthy marijuana plants the old-fashioned way, the rest of us could use a little help in that arena.
- High Quality Tent Only: Apollo Horticulture 48″x48″x80″ Grow Tent
- Complete LED Setup: Gorilla Grow 2’x4′ Grow Tent w/ LED
- Complete HPS Setup: HTG Complete 3’x3′ 400W HPS Grow Tent
Looking for something more cabinet like instead of a grow tent?
We recommend the SuperLocker 3.0 LED Grow Cabinet Hydroponics System.
- 1 What’s a Grow Box?
- 2 What’s Your Budget For a Grow Box?
- 3 How Much Space Do You Have For a Grow Box?
- 4 Discreet and Stealthy Grow Box Marijuana Growing
- 5 Grow Box Yield
- 6 Grow Box Medium: Soil or Hydroponics?
- 7 Grow Box Reviews
- 8 Top Grow Boxes
What’s a Grow Box?
Indoor grow boxes are the go-to solution for modern marijuana enthusiasts everywhere for a number of reasons. They’re easy to use, they’re self-contained, and they’re discreet. A grow box can also help deliver the optimal amounts of sunlight, moisture, and nutrients on a continuous basis so that your plants stay lush and healthy with a minimum of fuss and maintenance.
Using a grow box makes it possible to grow high quality marijuana absolutely anywhere no matter what the season, the climate, or the conditions. However, knowing that one of today’s best marijauna growboxes sounds like the right solution for you and choosing exactly the right option are two different matters altogether.
In this comprehensive grow box buyers guide, we’ll examine everything you should be looking for in an indoor grow box or grow tent, as well as examine how you can determine which of today’s best options would be the best solution for your needs.
What’s Your Budget For a Grow Box?
Let’s get down to the nitty-gritty right away — budget. You want a grow box system you can actually afford while still being a high quality grow box.
Some growers tend to assume that it would be less expensive to simply build their own grow box from parts, wood, or even in a old PC case than it would be to buy a complete system that’s ready to go out of the box. This can be true, but there are some really great all in one systems out there for fair prices and I suggest you explore those first.
With building from scratch it’s also important to realize that it’s easier to wind up over-budget this way than you might otherwise think. Some parts like lighting can cost a lot more and be a lot harder to locate than you’d otherwise think. But thank god for Amazon and other online retailers – this has gotten easier.
And honestly in most cases, it would probably be best to leave the box building to a more experienced craftsman… I’ve seen some real hot messes.
The trick to getting a great growing system for your money is to think carefully about your needs before you actually put your money down. Many new growers underestimate the amount of weed they’ll eventually want to cultivate and wind up needing to upgrade sooner rather than later. You may find it beneficial to invest a little extra in a marginally larger system right out of the gate than you will to replace it in a few months.
Here are some ready to use grow box and grow tents along with their prices:
How Much Space Do You Have For a Grow Box?
Not everyone has a ton of space or you simply might need something discreet.
It pays to make some plans as to where you’re going to install your grow box before you make a purchase. Measure that space and keep the specs in mind while you’re comparing grow boxes.
You’ll also want to prioritize indoor grow boxes that make the best possible use of the space inside the box. The great majority of the boxes you’ll see on the market will come equipped with a certain number of built-in plant sites — they will say “up to 6 plants” or similar depending on the size.
The number of sites included will naturally dictate the limits on your horizontal space and the number of separate plants you’ll be able to keep at one time. However, you don’t want to forget about vertical space, as that will dictate how large your plants will be allowed to grow. Again, planning ahead for your grow box needs is key here.
Once you start checking out your options, you’ll no doubt notice that many vendors will tell you outright how many plants you’ll be able to grow with a given system.
However, you really need to double check the actual dimensions against what you’re hoping to achieve with your growing operation. Otherwise, you could wind up with a system that isn’t able to accommodate plants of the height you’re looking to cultivate.
Discreet and Stealthy Grow Box Marijuana Growing
At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how economical or size-appropriate a given grow box is if it’s not going to be discreet enough. You don’t want to wind up stuck with something that’s super loud or has a high heat signature.
You also don’t want something that uses an astronomical amount of energy or produces light leaks either. Otherwise you could wind up dealing with neighbor complaints or an overcurious landlord unwittingly discovering your makeshift garden during routine apartment maintenance. Not to mention it could hurt your grow.
Most grow box manufacturers design their products with concerns like these in mind. However, you’ll want to evaluate each of your options carefully regardless. Cheaper bargain options might not offer you as much in the way of discretion as higher end options will. Take some time to read through our grow box reviews and grow tent reviews in regards to the options you’re considering before you purchase.
Grow Box Yield
Do you have a good idea of just how much weed you’ll need to produce in order to achieve your marijuana growing goals, as well as what size system really is truly necessary to meet those needs?
How much does the average marijuana plant yield?
So many factors depend on the average marijuana plant yield – but here is a rough guide based on lighting power:
- An average of around 1.5 to 2.0 oz (3.5 oz for advanced growers) with 200-watt CFL lamps in a grow cabinet that measures 3.5 x 1.5 x 6.5 ft.
- An average of around 3.0 to 5.0 oz (9.0 oz for advanced growers) with a 250-watt HPS lamp in a grow cabinet that measures 3.5 x 1.5 x 6.5 ft.
- An average of around 4.5 to 9.0 oz (14 oz for advanced growers) with a 400-watt HPS lamp in a grow room that measures 3.5 x 3.5 x 7 ft.
- An average of around 5.0 to 10 oz (21 for advanced growers) with a 600-watt HPS lamp in a grow room that measures 4 x 4 x 8 ft.
- An average of around 250 to 500 grams (1000 for advanced growers) with a 1000-watt HPS lamp in a grow room that measures 5 x 5 x 8 ft.
Using a Grow Box for Personal Sized Yields
If you’re looking to grow and maintain a personal supply just for you and some friends, a multi-chamber grow system is probably much more than you really need.
A single chamber system will allow you to maintain your own personal marijuana supply effortlessly, affordably, and conveniently without taking up valuable square footage in an already small living space. It will help you keep your energy bill down as well.
Multi-chamber Grow Boxes for Continuous Grows
If you’re planning on possibly selling product on a large scale or supplying to a multitude of medical marijuana users at some point, then you’ll want to consider investing in an option with two or more grow chambers instead of just one.
Multiple grow chambers will allow you to easily cultivate and care for plants at various growth stages – perfect for home growers with multiple people or patients relying on their supply.
Instead of having to wait for all of your plants to go through the entire growth process before you can get new ones going, you’ll have a supply that’s relatively continuous. Otherwise, you should expect to wait between two and four months between harvests but it really depends on the strain and their grow times.
Grow Box Medium: Soil or Hydroponics?
Some indoor grow boxes are soil based as one would expect. However, there are others grow boxes that operate via a soil-free hydroponics system instead.
Both growing methods have their advantages, so you’ll want to think about what qualities you’d like your harvests to have before you decide on one or the other.
Using Soil in Your Grow Box
Using Hydroponics in Your Grow Box
Hydroponics systems deliver the nutrients and moisture the plants need directly to the root system without the need for soil — the roots grow directly down into water.
We really recommend hydroponic based grow boxes for all level of users. The maintenance is easier and the production is better. It just sounds like it would be more complicated, but its really not. It also saves you from buying expensive soil like Fox Farm.
Your basic Hydroponic system for a grow box is what’s called a Deep Water Culture system or DWC for short, and consists of:
- Air Pump
- Air Stone (for oxygen)
- OD Tubing
- Reservoir (rubbermaid tub works perfectly!)
- Growing Medium (rock wool)
Tutorial video on Deep Water Culture Hydroponics
Grow Box Reviews
If you read or even just skimmed the entirety of this article you should be pretty well armed for making a decision about what grow box needs you have.
The next step would be actually seeking out products. Thankkfully I’ve done some homework for you, and reviewed all of the top grow boxes.
If you’re not interested in reading grow box reviews, but just want to find the best product then keep reading. The next section contains my #1 grow box pick and several other high quality grow boxes.
Top Grow Boxes
The following are our top grow box picks. Some are complete and some are just tents or grow boxes.
#1 – The Apollo Horticulture Grow Tent
We chose this as our #1 pick for both the size and quality. Several of the 400+ reviews (average 4.5 star!) say its higher quality than they expected.
User reviews of Apollo Horticulture Grow Tents from Amazon:
- “This tent is awesome! It was super simple to put together.”
- “Awesome tent. The poles are a little shaky at first but rigid up once the tent is put around them. The fabric and zippers are super durable.”
- “Awesome product! Easy set up and very sturdy. Better than what I expected. Super strong material and zippers are very sturdy! No doubt will last for years and worth every penny!”
- Package Includes: 1 -48"x 48"x 80" Apollo Horticulture Grow Tent / 1 - Removable Mylar Floor Tray, 2 Filter Straps Included, 1 - Instructional Pamphlet / Size - 48"x 48"x 80" 100% Reflective Tear Proof Mylar / Heavy Duty Zippers & Double Stitching for Light Protection
- HIGH QUALITY: 48"x 48"x 80" hydroponics indoor growing tent with heavy-duty zippers and double stitching for light protection ensure durability and long-lasting use. Thick tent material reinforced by the metal poles ensures security and stability. Keep your grows contained, prevent odors from leaking out, and stop pests from getting in.
- HIGHLY REFLECTIVE: Includes a removable Mylar floor tray, and a 100% light-proof, tear-proof reflective Mylar lining to assist your indoor growing light fixtures and equipment. Increase the intensity of your grow lights and retain heat to keep your grow room at the right temperature for your plants, herbs, flowers, fruits, and vegetables to thrive.
- EASY ASSEMBLY: Includes an instructional pamphlet for easy set up. This is a great hydroponics growing light kit system starter, whether you want to set up your indoor garden in an apartment, condominium, greenhouse, or any rented space.
- TOP CUSTOMER CARE: Your Apollo Horticulture Grow Tent for Indoor Plant Growing is backed by our exceptional customer service team and comes standard with the Apollo Horticulture Brand Guarantee and a 90-day warranty. It is our commitment to be your guiding light in the world of indoor growing, and to be the grow light company that you will want to do business with again and again. If our product does not meet or exceed your expectations, we offer a 30-day money back guarantee hassle free.